Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Blessings abound

It's been a while since I've updated everyone and perhaps it was because after an incredibly successful fundraiser in April, I needed to decompress. I am ecstatic to say that I had over 80 people in attendance and more donated raffle, silent auction, and door prizes than last year. As a result, I raised over $6,000 and there are so many people to thank. For fear of inadvertently missing someone, I'm not going to state names. You know who you are - you were there. You bought cupcakes, you bought raffle tickets, you bid on silent auction items, you drank wine and you supported my family in a way that cannot compare! For that, and so much more, I thank you.

I am almost at my goal of $12,500 and I have 11 days to go! So that means there is still plenty of time for you procrastinators to donate! You thought that you were off the hook, huh? Yeah, not so much. I will never stop trying to put an end to this disease!  Here's the link to make a donation: http://support.zerocancer.org/site/TR/RunWalk/RunWalk16?px=1102458&pg=personal&fr_id=1082
More important than the money and the awareness I am raising is the fact that Dad is finally healing! You may recall that his last chemo was December 30, 2015. We decided to take a chemo vacation because his body was extremely weak and could not take anymore. While chemo was killing the cancer, it had begun to lose its effectiveness because the PSA started to slowly rise again. More detrimental than that was the fact that chemo was starting to do more harm to Dad than good. The poison needed to cease.

One would think when you stop chemo, you would start feeling better soon, right? Wrong. Just because you stop pumping poison into your body every month doesn't mean that the poison disappears. The effects don't disappear either. Over the last six months, I have been watching my dad slowly deteriorate. He hasn't been suffering because of the cancer though. He's been suffering at the hand of chemo.  Chemo has caused him to walk with a cane (if he walks at all) because his feet hurt so bad from nerve pain. Chemo has caused him to stop eating and lose weight at a pound a week because his gums were badly infected, his teeth are loose and it is extremely painful to bite. Chemo has caused him extreme fatigue and exhaustion just by sitting in a chair. Chemo has caused him to go back on oxycodone every three to four hours because the constant head and mouth pain is horrendous. Chemo has caused his personality to diminish because he is living in complete misery. He doesn't engage in conversation and  he suffers through continuous pain getting frustrated because he has no energy or strength to do the simplest of tasks. Chemo brain caused him to act erratically and I can't even begin to tell you how much my mom resembles a pure angel.  Chemo changed my dad.  I would see him but I wouldn't know him. That man who looked like my dad wasn't my dad anymore.

He has been blessed with advice from a nutritionist over the last few months and I taught Mom how to make smoothies so Dad would get the calories and good fat that he needs to put weight back on or at least to help him stop losing. Hesitant at first because who in their right mind wants to drink green stuff, it didn't take long for him to jump on the green smoothie bandwagon and that started to help. Then one morning, in late May, he was able to get into the periodontist. That's when things started to change.

Within three days of being put on two different antibiotics and a medicated mouthwash, Dad's mouth pain was just about gone!! The man who has been sitting in a chair, sucking down narcotics, barely eating and holding his face in his hands in pure misery day in and day out talked to me on the phone for two straight hours! One night, he was afraid that mom would complain because she was trying to sleep and he wouldn't stop talking! On June 1, we celebrated his birthday at his favorite local Mexican restaurant and he not only carried on a conversation with us the entire time but he even started them! We spent more time with him at home opening presents and he even jumped up and started screaming at the tv because of the exciting Nats baseball game!  I was in awe and almost couldn't believe my eyes.  I looked at Dad and said, "Welcome back, buddy!" The defining moment; however, was when I went to leave my parents' house that night.

For as long as I can remember, when I leave, my mom and dad stand on the front porch waving until I drive out of sight. I can't remember the last time my dad even got up out of his chair to say goodbye much less came outside. That night, June 1, I sat in my car, turned around to look at the house as I was backing out and the biggest smile came across my face. My parents - both of them - my mom AND MY DAD - were standing on the front porch waving goodbye to me. You'd think it was my birthday and not Dad's because I got the best present of all that night!
I'm pleased to say that Dad has been improving more and more each day. In his 45 years of practice, the periodontist said he's never seen someone respond to antibiotics and heal so quickly! We thought he may have to pull Dad's loose teeth but now that may not even have to occur. Chemo caused his gum line to pull away from his teeth, but it may grow back in time. We'll try to be patient and see what happens over the next few months. Bottom line is my dad's personality is back, the infection and mouth pain are gone and he hasn't had to take oxycodone in almost a week!

Every day is a gift. Every good day is a blessing. When you have nothing but bad days for six months straight, a string of good days culminating in a week is an absolute miracle.

Thank you all for your continued prayers. Please keep 'em coming! We have been through the valley and it was very dark. But we've seen the light at the end of the tunnel. While it's a very long tunnel, that slightest hint of light is making all the difference.







No comments:

Post a Comment