Wednesday, April 22, 2015

My anthem for Dad

I love music. All kinds of music. To me, good music stretches beyond genres.  From country to 70s disco to R&B soul, to swing/big band, to blues, to contemporary, to pop to gospel/Christian and even throw in some rap here and there. Depending on the mood I'm in, different types of music speaks to me in different ways. There are often artists that I enjoy no matter what song they sing. There are artists that speak to me when I never thought they would. Music is so powerful.

I am a huge fan of Matthew West and in fact, I am excited about seeing him in concert (a present to myself for surviving the fundraiser and a way to decompress) for the first time in just a short few weeks. Released in 2003, his song "More" was his first and most successful radio single to date. In 2004, it was the most played contemporary Christian song of the year; staying at number 1 for nine consecutive weeks.

"More" is a song in which I instantly always sing along. It has all the components of a radio-friendly song and you probably wouldn't even realize Matthew West was a contemporary Christian artist unless you were already aware.  Recently, though, I heard this song in a different way and instantly thought of my dad.

Take a look at the mountain
Stretching a mile high
Take a look at the ocean
Far as your eye can see
 and think of Me

Take a look at the desert
Do you feel like a grain of sand?
I am with you wherever
Where you go is where I am

And I'm always thinking of you
Take a look around you
I'm spelling it out one by one

I love you more than the sun
And the stars that I taught how to shine
You are mine, and you shine for me too
I love you yesterday and today
And tomorrow, I'll say it again and again
I love you more
Just a face in the city
Just a tear on a crowded street
But you are one in a million
 and you belong to Me

And I want you to know
That I'm not letting go
Even when you come undone

I love you more than the sun
And the stars that I taught how to shine
You are mine, and you shine for me too
I love you yesterday and today
And tomorrow, I'll say it again and again
I love you more

While the meaning of this song is about God's love for each and every one of us, it also resonated with me in a way that I felt as if I was singing it to my dad as he goes through this battle with prostate cancer yet again. This song is a happy reminder that we're never alone because of our faith in our Lord. I am taking it a step further and now making it my anthem for Dad.


While my dad is one of the strongest men I've ever known, he's still human. He gets frustrated. He gets discouraged. But no matter what happens, Dad, remember, that you're not going through this alone. You'll never go through anything alone as long as I am on this earth. I may not have created the sun and the stars but I love you more than those things. You may feel like a grain of sand on a huge beach but wherever you go is where I am; you're important to me. To others you may just be one tearful man on a crowded street but to me you are the only man on that street. I am always by your side and you'll never fight alone.  You gave me life. You gave me love. You gave me friendship. You gave me support. You gave me strength.  You gave me humility. You gave me hope.  The absolute least I can do is give it back to you in return. 

I love you more than the sun
And the stars that I taught how to shine
You are mine, and you shine for me too
I love you yesterday and today
And tomorrow, I'll say it again and again
I love you more
I LOVE YOU, MOORE!






No comments:

Post a Comment