Friday, April 22, 2016

I'll be your man

On Saturday, April 15 and Sunday, April 16, my favorite guy and I were at the Zac Brown Band's Southern Ground Food and Music Festival in Charleston, South Carolina. Being huge lovers of food and music, we had been planning and eagerly awaiting this trip for months!

While we joined in the Woodstock-like barrage of fans all day and night Saturday, we splurged and enjoyed "the good life" on Sunday with stage box/front porch seats. 







I could go on and on about our trip to Charleston, the food and drink we shared, the sights we saw and the two-day festival but I'll save that for another time.  While my man has seen his favorite band numerous times, I have only seen the ZBB a total of four times. However, in each instance, I am continually impressed and become more of a fan. I have my favorite songs, of course, and I must say I was beyond ecstatic when the band performed "Free" and walked down our catwalk. To my surprise and delight, the fiddle player, Jimmy, stopped right in front of me and played my entire favorite song!


There were a multitude of magical moments that night - from being served a gourmet meal by famous chefs, enjoying an open bar, having seats on the stage to being able to grab Zac's hand as he walked past me to the cheering crowd below to having my man's arms around me and seeing that smile of sheer joy on his face that melts me every time.
But there is one moment that tore at my heartstrings and is a memory I will never forget.  While I have heard this song plenty of times and even experienced it live last year while in the pit at Nats Park, it never hit me like it did this Sunday night in South Carolina.

Along with Clay (a member of Zack's band), Eric Church (another favorite musician of mine) and two others, Zack wrote "I'll be Your Man (Song for a Daughter)".


As I stood there, singing along with every word, tears started to instantly roll down my face.
Was it because the friends we were hanging out with were a father/daughter pair?
Was it because I longed to have my dad with us?
Was it because the music itself is so beautiful and the words even more heartfelt?
Was it because I yearn for the day that the man I love would express those same words to our daughter?
Was it because it reminded me of my incredibly loving childhood and how my dad was not only the first man to love me but the one who continues to unconditionally love me?
Was it because, through all the heartbreak in my life, my dad is always there to hold me tight and make it all better?
Was it because, no matter what happens in this life, I know my dad will always be there for me cheering me on?
Was it because I could connect to the sheer simple love and devotion resonating from every word?
Was it because I instantly heard my own dad singing these words to me?
Yes, it was.


I’ll Be Your Man (Song For A Daughter)
You’re gonna make
The finest mama some day
Some man will take you away
But until then
Chase down your dreams
Laugh all the time and believe
That love’s gonna conquer all things
So until then, I’ll be your man
There was a time when
I thought I knew love
Until you came into this world
Time keeps on flying
But you’re always
Gonna be my baby girl
So as you walk
Through this life you will see
The world’s what you want it to be
But until then
Go on and dance
Dance like there’s no one around
Never stop singing out loud
And until then, I’ll be your man
There was a time when
I thought I knew love
Until you came into this world
Time keeps on flying
But you’re always
Gonna be my baby girl
Go have a ball
Take every chance that you may
You know I’ll be one call away
I’ll always be, I’ll always be your man
Hold on child
Hold on tight to your old man
Hold on child
Hold on tight to your old man
I’m gonna hold you tight
Under my wing long as I can
Hold you tight
Under my wing long as I can
(Sweet child of mine)
Hold on tight to your old man
Hold on child
(Hold on tight)
Hold on tight to your old man
Hold you tight
(I’m gonna hold you tight)
Hold on tight to your old man
Hold you tight
(Hold on tight)
Under my wing long as I can

 
I later found out, that while I was sobbing my face off, my new friend asked my favorite guy if I had lost my dad. He explained that dad was fighting his fifth recurrence with prostate cancer and it was the worst yet.  She then turned to her dad who was standing next to her and thanked him "for everything".  When the song ended, she simply came over to me and hugged me with no words spoken and I clung on to her as if she'd disappear when I let go. She was obviously sent to me for a reason. The stranger I had met earlier that day who was sharing this once-in-a-lifetime experience with me was an oncology nurse in New Orleans! Divine intervention, no doubt.

I have always believed that people are brought into your life for a reason. Since my ladybug passed three years ago, I know for a fact that she has had a hand in delivering many important people to me and I am forever grateful.  The dedicated, supportive and encouraging people in my ZERO family are included in that group. Not only have they served as a way for me to fuel my passion but are truly genuine, passionate human beings.
 
I can't even begin to express the "extent of fantastic" that I experienced those four days with the love of my life in South Carolina. I was able to escape life for a while and "just be" without any effort at all. But the one moment that was truly a magical gift of the heart was standing outside in the warm South Carolina air, with the man who holds my heart by my side, listening to Zack Brown singing my dad's lullaby to his precious baby girl.


Don't worry, Dad. I'll always be your baby girl.
I'll always hold on tight to my old man. It's the least I can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment