Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Superman

Who didn't like Superman as a kid? I mean Christopher Reeves was phenomenal as the movie version of Superman and let's face it, also as a human being. 

I remember being in awe of Superman (although Spiderman was my favorite - go figure - I hate spiders).  I also wanted to be Wonder Woman, but that's a post for another time.

As we get older, we often see the vision of Superman in a different light. I know I sure do.

One of my all-time favorite bands is Train and I love the lyrics to one of their songs:

Hey baby, I don't want to be your Superman.
I just want to be your man and I'll be super, baby
You'll be standin' in the sun shine
I'll be standin' right here in the rain
You save me and I will save the day

Superman is a type of hero, right? Well, how about an every day true-to-life hero?  Not a comic book character or one on the big screen. But a real live person. That's what I'm talking about and evidently, I'm not the only one who thinks this way.


For those of you who are addicted to American Idol, you may remember this guy.  (Remember an addiction isn't necessarily a good thing....I can say that because I'm one of the addicted fools.) 
Jimmy Charles made it to Hollywood on Season 9 of American Idol and is a soulful, genuine and passion-filled country singer/songwriter from Maryland who now lives in Tennessee. He has received radio play for four of his songs, including “Whatever It Takes” that played nationally on Clear Channel Country radio. In 2007, he made the Top 50 on "Nashville Star” (which I still think was a better show than American Idol!), he was a guest judge for “Nashville’s Next Big Star” 2011, and has opened side stage for Montgomery Gentry and Lady Antebellum concerts.


Jimmy has also performed and supported many benefits and charity events naming cancer and children as two of his top priorities.  After connecting with a prostate cancer patient at Chesapeake VA Urology (one of ZERO's Run/Walk partners) and learning about the struggles that men and families face when fighting cancer, he was inspired to write the song for ZERO which he performed at last year's Run/Walk in Baltimore. During the time he was recording the song, Jimmy unexpectedly lost his own father and found comfort and healing in being able to help others face cancer through the gift of his music.

The song that he wrote in hopes of strengthening and inspiring those who are battling cancer is appropriately titled, "Superman". I am excited to say that he will be performing "Superman" at the June 21 Run/Walk in Arlington in which Denny's Shotgun Riders will be participating!

It's the hardest thing I'll ever have to do
Swallow my pride, face the truth
Go through hell, feel the fear
Praise the Lord that I'm still here
And I still got more miles here on this road
And now I'm here to help you all to understand....
that you can't fight this battle on your own.
You ain't Superman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyB9gUsUWqQ&feature=youtu.be
 
Thank you, Jimmy Charles, for writing this song and I cannot wait to hear you perform it live on Father's Day!

My dad is my hero.
As his only child and his baby girl, he's always been my Superman and he still is.
But even Superman has bad days and gets frustrated and feels defeated.
Even Superman needs support.
Even Superman needs love.
Even Superman needs to know that he's not fighting this battle alone.
 
Hey, Superman!
No need to worry.
Your baby girl has got you!
 
 
 
 


For more info on Jimmy, click here for his website.
http://www.jimmycharlesmusic.com/

Remember, there's still plenty of time to join Denny's Shotgun Riders and/or make a donation in honor of my dad to show your support for all men battling this wretched disease. Just click here:
 http://www.zeroprostatecancerrun.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1127720&lis=1&kntae1127720=B54E2502CC1A4CD690A0CE3407E37ECB&supId=417434731&_ga=1.151509433.1836921384.1431616451






No comments:

Post a Comment