Saturday, February 7, 2015

Restaurants, cafes, bakeries... oh my!

I am thankful, overwhelmed by the generosity, and humbled by the support of various restaurants, cafes and bakeries for donating items/services to help raise money for Denny's Shotgun Riders.
Check out their websites below and I'll keep adding to this post as more come in.....

Bittersweet Catering, Cafe and Bakery
http://www.bittersweetcatering.com/home

When I worked in Alexandria for the City Manager's Office, I was in charge of ordering food for City Council-related meetings and events. Bittersweet Catering was our caterer of choice and Jeffrey, the catering manager, and I became very good friends over many years. Our work relationship turned into a wonderful friendship that still endures today. My friend, Kilo and I would walk up King Street to see Jeffrey to often have lunch at Bittersweet. We ended up being given the nicknames of "Snicker" and "Doodle" because we would devour their incredible snickerdoodle cookies. To this day, even though I haven't worked in Alexandria for almost five years, I still haven't found a better snickerdoodle or a lovelier café.  Their hot bar, their sandwiches and their desserts are absolutely second-to-none.

While I have known Jeffrey the longest, Jody Manor is the owner of Bittersweet and has become a delight to be around and a friend of mine over the last few years. You rock, Jody!!  Thanks for donating and being such a outstanding pillar in the Alexandria community.

Brock's Riverside Grill
http://www.brocksgrill.com/

Brock's is in downtown Fredericksburg and I hear it's a fantastic place. My friend, Anthony Campbell, was gracious enough to point me in this direction and Dan Morris at Brock's was one of the first people to donate! Thank you!

The All American Steak House and Sports Theater
http://theallamericansteakhouse.com/#
The "steakhouse" as we affectionately call it at work, is one of my go-to places for lunch during the work week. The roasted chicken salad is scrumptious, the California Burger is great comfort food and the Filet with bacon potatoes au gratin is absolutely to-die-for! Hey, and don't forget the unbelievable yeast rolls, which always come home with me for breakfast the next day!
 
Confections Cupcakery
http://www.confectionsonline.com/

Confections is my guilty pleasure when I've had a really rough week at work. I am famous for getting a 4-pack and making it last an entire week - teaches me patience and will power! My favorites are Triple Chocolate and German Chocolate.. I also love Orange Creamcicle, Hummingbird, Coconut and Lemon. Don't worry there are enough delicious flavors for everyone - even you Red Velvet and Rocky Road fans! The owner/baker lost her dad to prostate cancer a few years ago so she was more than willing to help out with the fundraiser. Thank you, Laura!













Famous Dave's
http://www.famousdaves.com/home

A year ago, I was at Famous Dave's of Woodbridge for lunch with my boss.  To my surprise and absolute delight, my girlfriend from high school, Juliet, greeted me because she was a manager there!! I hadn't seen her in many years and we picked up right where we left off. It did my heart such good to be reunited with her. As a result, she will be joining the team and while she no longer works at the Woodbridge location, she's still a "big wig" at Famous Dave's and was gracious enough to donate a gift card for the fundraiser!

 
 
Okra's Louisiana Bistro
 
Okra's is my go-to place in Old Town Manassas. It's where I had my first sazerac, fried okra and ratatouille. It never fails that I keep going back for more. It's such a welcoming place and who doesn't love a bar that serves snap peas instead of oyster crackers!!  Thanks to Justin for a phone call that warmed my heart and for his generous spirit.
 
 
 
Bella Vita Italian Restaurant
Bella Vita translates to "the good life" and when you eat here you definitely feel like you're part of the good life!! I am so grateful to my boss for introducing me to quaint little place off of Liberia Road in Manassas a few years ago. Our favorite waitress and the manager treat us like royalty every time we walk through the door! We've had many office parties/luncheons there and the customer service is impeccable not to mention the delicious house pasta, chicken flat bread, bruschetta and garlic parmesan rolls!
 
Check out my link below to the post I wrote in my wine and food blog about this restaurant last year:
 
 

Nandos Peri-Peri

  
Who doesn't love flame-grilled chicken? Marinate it overnight with a unique and legendary spice and it doesn't get much better! From half a bone-in chicken to a grilled boneless breast, to salads and sandwiches, Nandos has something for everyone. Inexpensive delicious good-for-you food that you'll try once and say, "what took me so long to find this place?"
 
Thanks to team member Jason Crawford's Crossfit connection to the Regional Manager of this fantastic restaurant, Nandos will be represented at the fundraiser! I can't thank Alison Dyer enough for meeting with me, sharing her experiences and a delicious lunch at Nandos Peri-Peri of Woodbridge and most importantly for her partnership and generous support!
 
 
 Thanks to Sean Gallagher for obtaining donations from the following four eateries in the
Del Ray area of Alexandria!
 
Caboose Café and Bakery
Caboose Café is the epitome of all that is Del Ray in Alexandria. Delicious pastries and breakfast foods, yummy sandwiches, salads and quiches, Ethiopian specialties after 5pm and scrumptious breads and desserts! On the corner of "the Avenue" and E. Uhler in Del Ray, you'll find a quaint café where your four-legged best friend can even accompany you on the adorable outdoor patio!



Evening Star Cafe
http://eveningstarcafe.net/

Located in the heart of the Del Ray area of Alexandria, Evening Star is known for its friendly neighborhood vibe and modern take on classic Southern cooking. Combine that with entertainment in its upstairs lounge (where I have found some incredible local talent over the years) and a wine shop next door and you have a perfect night out! Whether you choose to sit outside on the patio, enjoy the swanky ambiance of the dining room or have a few cocktails after work in the Majestic Lounge, you're bound to fall in love with this restaurant!
 

Pork Barrel BBQ
http://porkbarrelbbq.com/

Pork Barrel BBQ smokes its meat low and slow over a combination of oak and hickory hardwoods in its in-house smoker. Walk on up to the butcher's station and have a seat at the bar or take your delicious BBQ home with you! Locally owned and operated in Del Ray since 2011, Pork Barrel believes BBQ is American cuisine and strives to remind customers of the unique regions of barbecue as they enjoy the Carolina pulled pork, Texas sausage, Memphis ribs and Kansas City brisket.  All of the meats are seasoned with their national award winning Pork Barrel BBQ All-American Spice Rub and there are plenty of national award winning BBQ sauces to try out as well.

Holy Cow
http://holycowdelray.com/

Owned by the same person as Pork Barrel, now you can have your burger fix in Del Ray, too! If you love burgers, you will definitely want to try this place!! Gourmet burgers at their best with all the fixins! From beef to chicken to turkey to veggie to tuna, this place has it all!! With 11 cheeses to choose from and eight different types of buns, you are able to build your own and get exactly what you like!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment