Thursday, March 12, 2015

Too much of anything is bad but.....

 
... too much good whiskey is barely enough!
- Mark Twain
 
 
 
Most of my whiskey memories revolve around playing cards on the back porch of my grandparents' summer cottage at Colonial Beach. I vividly remember being a child and seeing them drinking what they called "high-balls" - which I later realized was bourbon and water.  I remember the drink having a strong smell and being served in a short wide glass but most importantly, I remember my family always being joyful when drinking. I remember my dad enjoying a high ball every so often. My great aunt, Lil, would also imbibe with my grandparents. But they would only drink a high-ball when my grandfather made it for them. He obviously had the special touch. Even at a young age, I was smart enough to know that much!
 
My grandfather also had a fully stocked bar in his Alexandria home, which I am proud to say now resides in my home.
 
 
As I got older (and of age, of course), I never even gave bourbon or whiskey a second thought. My spirit of choice was always rum and about five years ago I also began trying and enjoying wine.
 
However, it was about three or four years ago that I was sitting at the bar in Okra's in Old Town Manassas (who, by the way, has donated a gift card for the fundraiser too!) and decided I wanted to branch out and try a new libation. I tried a sazerac (the quintessential New Orleans rye whiskey cocktail) and loved it. About a month or so later, I was back at Okra's and decided to try a rye whiskey straight up and fell in love with Old Overholt.  The next time, I tried my taste buds with Makers Mark and that went down rather well too.
 
From that point on, I have decided to start trying and learning about whiskey.
I knew my grandfather and Lil would be proud! Who am I kidding? They are the ones leading me to the whiskey and cheering me on from the spirit world!
 
 
Two years ago, a friend took me to Catoctin Creek Distillery in Loudoun County.
 We went on a tour which was extremely enlightening and had a tasting. We shared a flight of the white whiskey (Mosby's Spirit), rye whiskey (Roundstone Rye) and gin (Watershed).
 
 
 
We  also shared a flight of the seasonal cocktails and I liked one so much that I took the recipe home!
 
 
I have since returned to Catoctin Creek distillery twice - for a tasting after my birthday lunch last year....
 
 
 
 ....and just a few weeks ago in the snow with my favorite guy.
 
Why would I go all the way to Purcellville in the snow for whiskey?
 
Well, because Scott Harris, the incredible owner, of Catoctin Creek, was kind enough to donate an item to the fundraiser in support of Denny's Shotgun Riders!!
 
The least I could do was go pick it up!
 
(Plus I was almost out of Roundstone Rye, my favorite, at home.)
 
 
 
In 2009, Scott and his wife, Becky, founded Catoctin Creek Distilling Company as the first legal distillery in Loudoun County since before Prohibition. It is located in the heart of the Loudoun Valley.  Home to more than twenty vineyards and wineries, Loudoun County is often referred to as D.C's Wine Country and now with Catoctin Creek there what a perfect road trip to make!

Scott and Becky believe in high quality food and spirits. Organic means higher quality: grain and fruit, sourced locally when possible, free of pesticides and chemical additives that would come through in the spirits they produce. Of course it is more difficult to produce organically, but Scott and Becky think the results speak for themselves... and I can truly attest to that statement!


Sic semper secales! 
Thus always to rye!
 
 
 It is with such pleasure that I am able to promote and have Catoctin Creek Distillery represented at my fundraiser.

Check out their website below.
 
 
   












 

No comments:

Post a Comment