Monday, March 30, 2015

Where did the time go? One month and counting....

One month from today will be the night of my fundraiser. Where did the time go?
 
Whenever I have a moment to sit down and actually comprehend everything that has happened in a matter of months, it can be quite overwhelming. I suppose that's why I try to not have much downtime these days.

It seemed like just yesterday that we were excited about the new house at Colonial Beach - decorating it, arranging furniture and enjoying wine, cheese and music on the front porch during the summer. 
 

Then it was our September family vacation in the Outer Banks - my original happy place.


 

Who knew that it wouldn't be long when the pain would begin, the PSA would escalate and then chemo would begin. This Thursday, April 2, Dad will have his third chemo treatment. It all happened so quickly. He is such a trooper. Not a day goes by that he doesn't amaze me with his strength - physically, mentally and spiritually. Not a day goes by that I don't promise to do everything in my power for him.
 
A month from today, my team, Denny's Shotgun Riders, will be holding what I'm counting on to be a hugely successful fundraiser. A success for my team in raising money, of course, but even more than that a success in having all of our family and friends (and even some people we probably just met or don't even know yet) in the same room showing their love and support for my dad and his battle with prostate cancer.
 
After a few failed attempts, because he wasn't feeling up to it, this past Saturday, Mom and Dad joined me and our dear friend (who is also a team member) Maurine, for an early dinner at Giorgios. This is the first time he's been there since he started chemo and it made my heart so happy to have him walk through those doors again - the doors of my happy place - the place that always "makes everything better" for my parents and me.


 I'm happy to say, this time was no different. If only for a little while, life stood still, everyone was healthy and happy and we were all together enjoying incredible food, wine and friendship again . Those few hours were better than any medicine or treatment that any doctor could provide!

A month today, we will all come together at that same happy place to support my dad and to raise money for prostate cancer awareness so that others, one day, won't have to go through what my dad and so many other men have gone through. 

Thanks to all of you who have committed to coming to the fundraiser. Don't forget paying in advance will save time and be helpful to us and for food preparation purposes. That doesn't mean that you will be turned away at the door - it just means you may have to stand in line and who wants to do that? You'll want to spend all of your time perusing all of the amazing donated items and enjoying the delicious food and wine that my happy place has to offer!

Let the countdown begin.....
the countdown to the fundraiser.......
 and the countdown to kicking cancer's ass a fifth time!

As always, thanks for your support. Keep the prayers coming! They are working!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment