Sunday, March 13, 2016

Let's get/stay healthy!

There are so many avenues to take when it comes to health and wellness. I like to think that I have a good array of those options represented at the fundraiser this year. Here's a glimpse of what you can expect to see in regard to businesses who will be represented.

Soaring Spirit Yoga Studio
http://www.soaringspirityogastudio.com/

Nancy, at Soaring Spirit Yoga Studio, is the epitome of the essence of yoga - the practice of being present in the moment! There's no reason to dwell on the past or worry about the future. Embrace the present in a welcoming and supportive place right in the town of Occoquan! A variety of classes and workshops are offered for beginners and seasoned yogis!
 
Reiki Master Session
My parents and I moved to Dale City when I was two years old and it's really the only home I've ever known. One of the instant friends I made at such a young age was a creative and loving little girl named Sunday who lived across the street. I am blessed to say that she and I have remained friends our entire lives and she is someone that my parents and I can always count on!

I have always been in awe of Sunday, ever since we were kids, at her natural and free-spirited nature. Her artistic and creative talents (as well as her younger sister's) were also something I admired, and still do. Sunday started Reiki training about 16 years ago and I had no idea! In my search to find something to help Dad with his neuropathy, I reached out to Sunday about a month ago to see if she could help.  Dad's first Reiki session was a few weeks ago, he was very pleased, and the sessions will continue.

Sunday has always been interested in natural healing and she's used crystal therapy, color therapy and simple tea and herbal remedies. Her spiritual/religious life is centered around the idea that all things are made up of one thing-that God is actually part of everything.  The idea of Namaste - that the divine in me sees and honors the divine in you - is one of her favorite things. She started using crystals and prayer to send healing to her friends who she knew needed it. Becoming a certified massage therapist made it easier for her to practice Reiki. For a while, she also joined some of her old religious mentors in a hands-on healing prayer group. It was then that she presented Reiki to them and explained that in her mind, it was the same thing.

While Sunday sometimes combines Reiki with massage, it is often just energy - energy flowing through her into the world, focusing on one person/place that needs it. She has even helped children, and clients with severe injuries and chronic terminal illnesses like cancer and fibromyalgia.
 
"I do it because there is so much hurt in the world - so much pain and loss and sadness. If there is anything I can do, anything that can make it even a little better, and even for one person, then I want to do it."
-Sunday Frey

It is with great honor that I am happy to say that my dear friend is offering up her Reiki services to help others through Denny's Shotgun Riders!!

 
Health and Nutrition Services by Sarah
I met Sarah a few years ago when she was waitressing at Giorgios. She instantly became a part of our family! How excited she and Mom were when she was assigned to my mom's school for her student teaching stint! While I am so incredibly proud of her for following her dreams of becoming a teacher, I am even more proud of her for taking a hold of her health and her life and improving it for the better! 

Sarah had always been a fit teenager - active in sports and walked everywhere. Her senior year of high school she stopped playing sports and bought a car. She stopped taking care of her body but continued to eat junk! College brought on the Freshman 30 and waitressing added another 15 pounds. She was 24 years old, 200 pounds, suffering from depression and had multiple health issues. She knew she needed to change her life.

On March 23, 2015, she was invited to quite a few beach trips and really wanted to go so by way of her sister she bought the Beachbody 21 Day Fix Extreme. She has been able to keep her weight loss going and health journey consistent through the Beachbody programs. She is now in great health and is happier than she's ever been, Most of all, Sarah wants others to realize the misconceptions about eating/dieting and help them truly realize how healthy they can be. My sweet Sarah is such an inspiration!

"I can't imagine feeling the way I used to and anyone can do these programs. I feel so great every day and there is no reason that everyone else shouldn't feel this good! How could I keep the secret to health and happiness a secret? I definitely feel good because I'm working out, but I know I feel even better because of messages I get from others! I'm helping people get themselves back on track by investing into the most important project of all - THEMSELVES!!!"
- Sarah Grimm

Fit 4 Pole
http://fit4pole.com/

Pole Dancing, you say? Get it out of your system. Go ahead. Giggle. Guffaw. Whatever it is.
Done now? Good. Pole and conditioning classes are a great way to have fun and stay fit! Lucky for us, Meaghan is an awesome teacher, avid Crossfitter and didn't hesitate to go to the owner of Fit4Pole to see if she'd be willing to help raise money for putting an end to prostate cancer!

Meaghan grew up a competitive dancer and wanted to get back into the world of dance somehow, as well as help develop her Crossfit strength. She stumbled upon one of the studios she still trains at and has been in love with the world of aerial dance (pole, lyra/hoop) ever since.  Meaghan is going into her fourth year of aerial dancing and she couldn't be happier with the community, as well as the results it has given her mind and body. 
 
"The art of pole and lyra gets a bad rap within society mainly due to common misconceptions around our art, but it is not only an empowering community for women (and men), but it has given ordinary ladies who never would've considered participating in this sport, a new found sense of worth, despite their figure, background, and/or physical abilities."
 -Meaghan Bresnan

Want to get fit and have fun? Then you'll want to bid on the gift certificate for a party from Fit4Pole which will include up to 10 of your friends! The party will include 1.5 hours of studio time to include mingle time, chair/exotic dance instruction and pole dance instruction! Instruction sessions can be tailored to your preference and additional time can also be purchased by the winner of this item. No need to be nervous or scared - Meaghan will take great care of you! I just need nine more people! Let's do this thang!

 
 
Stay tuned to this post because more health, fitness and wellness items will be added in the next week or so.



No comments:

Post a Comment