Friday, March 4, 2016

When-the-limo-breaks-down kind of friend.....

Denise and I have been friends since the 6th grade. We were 11 years old when we met and 31 years later I can say she is still one of my best friends. Our friendship is not only one of my longest and dearest but Denise is family. We may not see each other as often as we'd like but our friendship is one that keeps us always connected.  My family and I are definitely blessed to have her in our lives. When something goes wrong, she's the first one I call. When something goes right, she's the first one I call.  She is a devoted and loving mother and wife; a true role model to all women in this world.


Without a second thought, Denise make an incredible quilt to be auctioned off at last year's fundraiser. Last Fall, she also surprised Dad with a Redskins quilt, specifically made for him, to provide warmth as a result of chemo treatments.


Not only is Denise one of the most loving, compassionate, intelligent and giving people I know but she's also incredibly creative! What I'd give for just an ounce of her creativeness.


About 15 years ago, Denise's mom bought her a sewing machine for Christmas. She took it out of the box and couldn't figure out how to thread it and immediately returned it to her mom.  A few years later, she became involved with Project Linus, an organization that meets quarterly to make quilts for critically-ill children.  Becoming part of Project Linus enabled her to build her sewing and quilting skills.
 
She made her first quilt in 2008 and has made close to 50 more since then for friends and family for different occasions.  She progressed from simple patchwork quilts into detailed designs and patterns.  Her favorite quilt is a log cabin quilt she made for her parents' wedding anniversary.   In November 2014, she invested in an embroidery machine and plans to learn how to do designs on the quilts after they are made.


I cannot begin to express how honored I am that she is making a quilt again for the fundraiser to support my dad and our plight against prostate cancer!

This year's special masterpiece is a jelly roll quilt which is a pre-cut collection of quilting fabric that has been cut into strips that measure 2.5” by the width of fabric. Jelly rolls are the perfect way to get a sampling of all the prints in a fabric line or collection and the one she made and donated specifically for my fundraiser is full of bright and happy colors!

Here is a photo of the quilt in progress!
I can't wait to see the finished product!


Whoever is fortunate enough to win this auction will not only be receiving a beautiful quilt but one that has been handmade with such marvelous compassion and talent!

Thank you Denise... for everything.
 I don't know what my parents and I would do without you!

"Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
 ~Oprah Winfrey


No comments:

Post a Comment