Thursday, March 3, 2016

Thank you, Purcellville!

Sometimes in life people pleasantly surprise you. This doesn't happen often in my world but it's pretty magical when it does occur. I have found in my plight to bring awareness, and put an end, to prostate cancer is where this seems to happen most often. It gives me hope that there still are good people out there - especially when they are complete strangers.


I love the town of Purcellville in Loudoun County, Virginia. It's a little over an hour away but it feels like escaping to another world.   Purcellville lies in the heart of the Loudoun Valley, approximately nine miles west of Leesburg with the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west. I spent one of my birthday celebrations out there a few years ago and  I take any chance I can get to go back. My favorite guy and I love experiencing all that is Main Street USA!
Two weeks ago, we went out to our favorite small town to pick up donations for this year's fundraiser. Otium Cellars (http://otiumcellars.com/) is one of my favorite wineries in this area - from the service, to the atmosphere, to the wine.  The manager, Tarah, didn't hesitate to donate once again and I, of course, jumped at the opportunity to personally pick it up and taste their wines!  I am a California Chardonnay lover and Otium's is one that comes so very close to transporting me to the West Coast. I love the Blaufrankish and Dornfelder as well! Tarah was on maternity leave but she left my information with Jordan and he took great care of us! What a great way to start off our trip! I could have stayed there all day but onward we went....


Next stop on our journey was Monk's BBQ for lunch! I love a good pulled pork sandwich but I love a tender, moist brisket even more. Throw in a side of potato salad, smoked gouda mac and cheese and custard filled cornbread and I am in pure food heaven. My favorite guy introduced me to Monk's almost two years ago and I couldn't be more thankful. I hate that it's so far away but it's well worth the drive. For incredible food, I'll travel just about anywhere. I had never met Brian before and his generosity truly floored me. Not only did I think he made a mistake with the amount of zeroes on his gift card but he even mentioned wanting to attend the fundraiser! I can't begin to express the appreciation I have for this hometown BBQ joint and the way it touched my heart.   Click here to check out this family owned business: http://www.monksq.com/


As I got back in the truck and looked straight ahead, I saw an abandoned house and instantly thought, "I could totally live here." Well, part time, at least. My other home would have to be at the beach.


Now that our bellies were happily full, it was time for some exquisite craft beer to wash it down at Adroit Theory Brewing http://www.adroit-theory.com/. Adroit is a perfect example of how we should not judge a book by its cover.  Walking into Adroit is like walking into a Stephen King novel - it's dark, satirical almost, and all who work there have some form of body art - tattoos, piercings, rods, you name it. To some, this may be frightening. To me, it's refreshing. I don't care what people look like - I never have. I care about their character and their inner self. It was the fourth time I'd been to Adroit and while its beer still continues to excite me and my taste buds, the unselfish and giving attitude of the staff impressed me even more. Even though the manager with whom I had been conversing for a month wasn't there, all the staff knew who I was and were expecting me. It was difficult for my favorite guy and I to contain our excitement when we realized what they were donating for the fundraiser! If you've been to Adroit, you'll appreciate it. If you haven't been to Adroit, you need to go after these items - you won't be disappointed. It will change your outlook on beer, art and even humanity!


The last stop was to see Scott at Catoctin Creek Distilling http://catoctincreekdistilling.com/. Like Otium, Scott graciously donated to the fundraiser for the second year in a row. If you were at last year's event, you'll remember how his bottle of Roundstone Rye Whiskey was a show stopper. I truly thought there was going to be a knock down drag out (in a good way) for this bottle! I am a huge lover of rye and always keep a bottle of Scott's Roundstone in my home. This year, Scott added a special touch. You'll have to come to the fundraiser to check it out....


As we were driving home that afternoon, my heart was so full. It felt as if Purcellville had wrapped its arms around my heart and said, "We got you, Val. We're riding shotgun with Denny, too!" These businesses didn't have to donate a thing. They could have ignored my request. They have no obligation to me. For God's sake, I live, and the fundraiser is even being held, in a different county!  I wouldn't have blamed them one bit if they chose to not participate. But I love that town. I love the feel of it. I love the businesses there. I love the fact that the owners of most of these businesses are born and bred in Purcellville. Scott and Becky, the owners of Catoctin Creek Distillery, grew up in Purcellville and chose to remain there, raise their family and hold their business. Purcellville makes me feel like I am part of its local family and that is something I have always yearned for.  I never feel like a stranger in Purcellville. Ironic because when I describe my dad, I often say that he's never met a stranger.


In a world filled with uncertainty, fear, anger and hate, Purcellville restored my hope in the fact that there are still genuine, good and unselfish people out there! Many thanks to my favorite small town in Northern Virginia! I can't begin to express how full you made this girl's heart feel!











No comments:

Post a Comment