Sunday, February 28, 2016

Get Ink'd!

I've always loved tattoos. I pass random people on the street and see their tattoos and want to ask them the story behind them. I realize some people have incredible stories and then other tattoos were just done on impulse. Still, I am intrigued.  I have always loved the phrase, "Tattoos are scars with stories." I want to know the stories.

I have always wanted a tattoo. But I have never been able to figure out what I wanted. I am the one who always thinks ahead and wants no regrets. I have seen friends regret tattoos - whether it be ones done because of boyfriends that became husbands and then ex-husbands or friends out of high school who had stomach tats done and years later became pregnant and the entire idea literally "exploded" into something different and permanent. I'm cautious by nature. I figure when the time is right and the idea is perfect, I'll know it. Tattoos are permanent. I want something that is meaningful and that is still relevant when I'm 20 as well as when I'm 90.

About seven years ago, I found a dragonfly design that I loved (and I still do). My girlfriend and I were going to the Outer Banks for vacation and I had researched a shop down there to have the tattoo done. I went as far as emailing the artist weeks ahead of time, making an appointment, walking into the shop, sitting in the chair, seeing the design and then saying "forget it" and walking out.  I was not happy with the artwork or the environment. Something didn't feel right and if I get a bad vibe, I'm out. No questions asked. I always listen to my instincts.

In August 2015, I made an appointment for a tattoo in October. My boyfriend was having work done at a shop in Fredericksburg and had gone there quite a few times. I was extremely impressed with the work he had done.


 I also did a "walk thru" of the shop before I made the appointment to make sure I would feel comfortable. He was having another tattoo done in October and I figured two months would give me enough time to figure out my design. I'd go with him, watch his work being done and have time to freak out and cancel if I desired. Going alone wasn't an option.

I had ideas. Things that were important to me. Things that I wouldn't mind having on me for the rest of my life. A place on my body that I could see but that I could easily hide if need be as well. The key would be doing something unique. Something different. Something inspirational and meaningful to me. I didn't care if it made sense to anyone else. This was strictly for me. I knew I wanted words. I knew I wanted something simple.  I tend to overanalyze and overthink EVERYTHING I do. However, I am proud to say over the years, I have learned to relaxed quite a bit.

I had a few ideas flying around in my head. I had things that would "work" but I was still yearning for something special. Then it happened.

Every year for my birthday, I treat myself to a session with my spirit medium. It is the most comforting and rejuvenating gift I could ever give myself. As I was driving to my annual session, I was talking to my grandmother and asked her to provide me with inspiration. I had set my tattoo appointment for October and I had less than a month to figure out my design. I knew I wanted words and I knew I wanted it on the inside of my wrist, but I needed more. I had a backup plan but I wasn't completely in love with it.

Long story short, during my session, my grandmother came forth and among many things, she provided me exactly what I needed. Without going into detail, I knew I had my tattoo the moment she told me the following statement - "There are no coincidences".  

I have always believed that everything in life happens for a reason.  We may not understand it when it happens but eventually we will. It isn't our place to question. My Christian faith has always been what powers me through the tough times and this phrase and belief has empowered me to endure the trials and challenges in which I'm faced.

I was thrilled. I had it! I had my tattoo. Well, at least parts of it. Now was time to figure out how to design it. Over a few weeks time, it all came to me with help from my grandmother, my intuition and my boyfriend.  I would create an acronym and use a cross as the "t". I would also use my grandmother's actual handwriting for the "anc".

If you want to understand the deeper meaning behind my tattoo, you can click here: http://winefoodie.blogspot.com/2015/10/my-permanent-reminder.html
 
I am so excited to announce that Jack Brown's Tattoo Revival has graciously donated its services for the Denny's Shotgun Riders Fundraiser this year!!
 
 
Jack Brown's is filled with a fantastic group of creative and artistic geniuses! Greg and Kevin are the artists I have personally met and I cannot begin to explain how incredibly impressed I am with them! The analytical, word-smithing mind of mine is truly in awe of their talents! There is nothing too simple or too complicated. It is all up to the customer and what you want!

 
Many thanks to co-owner, Kenny Brown, for helping us raise money to put an end to prostate cancer!

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment