Thursday, February 18, 2016

No one should have to fight alone

During the last two years of taking on the plight of raising awareness for prostate cancer and raising funds for the cause, I have come across many people who I otherwise would never have met. Men don't like to talk about this disease. It's too personal.  For some reason, I have been able to make it "ok" to talk about and I have become a voice for many men out there. Maybe because I start the conversation. Maybe because I understand what they are going through even though I'm female. Maybe because I openly and genuinely care.  How did this happen? Why did this happen? I don't know but I'll take it. If I can make a difference, even a small one, I'm going to go after it full speed ahead. My driving force is obviously my father but I don't want any other man to have to go through what he has been through the last 20 years and most importantly, since December 2014.


While soliciting for donations for the fundraiser, I have come into contact with three individuals who have been touched by prostate cancer - three individuals who I had not previously met or even talked to until recently -  in just the last few weeks. Their businesses have agreed to make a donation simply because they know first hand what it's like to battle this disease and they are applauding me for my efforts.  I cannot begin to tell you how touching it is to receive an email from a stranger stating they would love to donate an item/gift certificate for the fundraiser and then sharing their personal story. From the manager of a golf course telling me her husband was diagnosed four years ago, had surgery and has maintained a zero PSA since to the owner of a local restaurant who has fought his own battle with prostate cancer for years to the manager of a local business who has numerous staff and customers who have been touched personally by this disease. In January, I also met the founder of a local Veterans foundation at a charity event and found out later that evening he had been diagnosed six months ago with prostate cancer and was undergoing extensive radiation and suffering from major side effects. In passing out "save the date" flyers at my happy place one night, I found out an acquaintance I had known for a year had battled prostate cancer as well. All it takes is one person to start a conversation and it's amazing what you find out and what good you can do.


As I think about all of these men I wonder if they have a support system. I wonder if they have had to fight their battle alone. I can't imagine going through cancer alone yet I know there are many people, unfortunately, who do. In fact, a dear friend of mine who I lost touch with for about 10 years was diagnosed at the age of 51 and was completely alone. I had no idea he was going through this journey and felt guilty when I found out all those years later.  No one should ever have to fight cancer alone. I see the fear, the pain and the misery that my dad is going through and one thing he always needs to understand is no matter how bad it gets he will NEVER be alone. Obviously, my mom and I will always be by his side but there are so many others who have vowed to be one of his shotgun riders as well - whether it be as part of the race team or in spirit. 


At last year's race, I was honored to speak to the participants and as I looked out onto the crowd, I was overwhelmed. ZERO had built a huge support system for so many people and now my parents and I were part of that massive sea of support.  In my message, I mentioned that no man should ever have to fight prostate cancer alone and I meant it. Call me, email me, write me. I'll help you the best way I know how and sometimes all that takes is a shoulder and the bending of an ear.


Yesterday, I was on my way back to work from lunch and heard the song, "Brother" by Need to Breathe. I love this band and while I've heard this song many times, it resonated with me in a different way than usual. The lyrics are powerful. The music is powerful. The message is powerful.


This song instantly made me think of my father and his battle with prostate cancer; his 20-year journey. The song made me think of how strong Dad is but yet how often he feels as if he can't take it anymore and questions why this is happening to him. It made me think of all the other men who I know and who I don't know, the men who are silent about having this disease, the men who are fighting alone.


I felt an undeniable urge to tell them, don't give up.
You're not alone.
I'm with you, brother!


Brother, let me be your shelter
I’ll never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you’re low
Brother, let me be your fortress
When the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home

And when you call and need me near
Sayin' where'd you go?
Brother, I'm right here
And on those days when the sky begins to fall
You're the blood of my blood

We can get through it all


Click here to listen to the song in its entirety along with the video:



Please show your support for my father and for all men who are battling prostate cancer! Whether it be by donating online in honor of my team or buying a ticket for the fundraiser, it takes a quick moment of your day or a few hours of your night in April but you have no idea what a difference it will make!

Every man is at risk.
Help me bring awareness to this disease.
Help me raise funds for research and education to help put an end to this disease.

 Selfishly, I ask that you show my father, your friend, Denny, that he is not alone and that we are all there for him - even when the night winds are driving on and on those days when the sky begins to fall. 

Thank you all for your support, prayers, love and friendship!


Click here to make a donation to my team and show support:
http://support.zerocancer.org/site/TR/RunWalk/RunWalk16?px=1102458&pg=personal&fr_id=1082







No comments:

Post a Comment